Life Cycle Assessment
What is Life Cycle Assessment?
Life Cycle Assessment is the leading solution for understanding, quantifying and communicating the environmental and social credentials and performance of products, services, processes, assets and organisations.
The assessment takes into account the complete life cycle, starting from the production of raw materials to the final disposal of the products, including material recycling if needed. Life cycle assessment can be expanded to include both social and financial impacts and benefits, often referred to as life cycle sustainability assessment.
Life cycle assessment can be used to inform sustainable procurement, product development and innovation, green marketing and reporting, and sustainability strategy development.
The following important applications of LCA are increasingly being adopted by businesses in Australia and internationally:
are the gold standard to communicate your product or service environmental credentials to the market. Find out more >>
The environment and social responsibility matters when customers decide which products and services to trust and buy.
Organisations understanding this use quantitative and complete information to inform investment decisions, improvement initiatives and as basis for communicating their environmental credentials. The information needs to be:
- Reliable to ensure long-term decisions and communication strategies can be made and developed;
- Defensible to meet the scrutiny and expectations from internal and external stakeholders;
- Pragmatic and timely to be used as input to decision-making; and
- Holistic to ensure there is a net improvement for the environment, society and the economy.
We understand that each project require a customised approach to meet the time-line, objectives and budget of each client. We use state of the art industry tools and databases to deliver our projects.
Edge have worked on several award winning LCA projects, providing life cycle sustainability information to organisations’ decision-making and marketing initiatives. Edge offers cost-effective LCA solutions to:
- Develop in-house environmental innovation tools and communication and strategies
- Deliver best practice strategy and supply chain management includes the process of purchasing goods and/or services
- Develop and implement science-based targets for greenhouse gas emissions
- Assess, benchmark or peer-review projects aiming for credits in the Green Star, Infrastructure Sustainability and LEED v4 rating tools
- Comply with ARENA’s Life Cycle Assessment guidelines for bioenergy projects.
- Develop environmental product labels
An LCA, following the internationally recognized and standardized practice (ISO 14040 & 14044), is the only scientifically standardized method to make a comparative claim on the environmental performances of products and services. We use leading national and international databases including AusLCI, ecoinvent v3, ExioBase and Social Hotspot Database. Contact to discuss the requirements of the standard and our services.
Edge expert staff are:
- Certified professional with the Australian LCA Society (ALCAS)
- Active on the ALCAS board , Edge’s CEO is the current President
- Contributing to the Australasian EPD Programme’s Technical Advisory Board and certified EPD verifiers.
Edge use LCA as part of our triple bottom line sustainability assessment tool kit, combining economic, environmental and social impacts and risks. We draw from experience working with leading organisations, including Walmart, Unilever, Yum!, Optus/Singtel, Telstra, Ingham’s, Lend Lease, CSR, James Hardie, KeepCup, City of Sydney, VicRoads, Transport for NSW, ARENA, Australian Ethical Investment, CSIRO, Taronga Zoo, and many more.