Applications for this intake are now closed. Applications for the next intake will open mid-2019. Follow Edge on Linkedin for all the latest updates on the PEP program.
Job title: Intern/Graduate
About Edge Environment
Edge is a consultancy that helps clients to ingrain sustainability into their cultures, both for responsible and commercial performance. This ensures our client companies deliver business value that is both impressive and inspiring for the communities in which they operate. We are passionate about what we do and the positive impact it can have. Our corporate values and mission focus on building a sustainable, profitable business based on leadership, environmental protection, integrity, and objectivity, scientific rigor balanced with pragmatism, timeliness, respect, customer focus and fun. Read more about us here.
Aligning to our mission, we’ve developed a Professional Experience Program to:
- Support early career professionals entering the sustainability field
- Contribute to learning and education regarding sustainability
- Be open to new and innovate ideas and ways of thinking
Edge is currently recruiting participants for our Professional Experience Program for a 25 February 2019 start date for a four-month engagement period.
The purpose of Edge’s Professional Experience Program is to provide participants with:
- The chance to experience an organisation that lives its values
- Participation in an innovative team at the forefront of sustainability
- A ‘foot-in-the-door’ to the competitive sustainability and consulting market
- Development of professional and career skills
- Insight to working in a smaller-sized organisation
The Professional Experience Program is for candidates who have recently graduated from a Master’s program, are transitioning from another sector or are currently, or soon to be, enrolled in a Master’s program.
There are three pathways within the Professional Experience Program:
Work Experience Program
The Work Experience pathway is for candidates who will undertake work experience with Edge for university credit. This is Edge’s preferred pathway within the Professional Experience Program.
Not every problem our clients face can be solved with an off the shelf solution. At Edge we value fresh thinking and new ways of doing things so we’ve created an Innovation Pipeline of projects to bring new and innovative solutions to our clients and to keep us at the forefront of sustainability and emerging trends. As a priority, participants in the Work Experience pathway will have the opportunity to work on and help drive projects in our Innovation Pipeline that align to each participant’s skillset and interests.
Edge is looking for Work Experience participants with a range of the following attributes:
Experience and proactive interest in:
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Building materials knowledge
- Climate science
- Supply chain analysis
- Event sustainability
- Corporate governance issues regarding social responsibility
- Data visualisation
Other desirable skills include:
- Experience conducting literature reviews and organising literature references in MS Word and Excel
- Skills in basic statistics
- Strong excel skills, including confidence handling and extracting insights from large datasets
- Research and synthesis experience
- Communication and / or marketing skills
Hours per week are at the discretion of the participant but must align to any university requirements. Edge recommends a minimum of one day per week or approximately 100 hours during the engagement period. Participants are not required to be present in Edge’s Manly office; however, to get the most out of the Program, regular time in our office is highly recommended. Please make note of any university requirements (e.g. required hours) in your application.
This position is unpaid.
Project Experience Pathway
The Project Experience pathway is for candidates who have recently graduated from a Master’s Program or have recently transitioned from another sector and are looking to gain experience in sustainability. Participants in the Project Experience pathway will become part of the project team and aid in the delivery of client projects.
Edge is looking for Project Experience participants with experience in or knowledge of Edge’s core service themes.
Required hours per week (ranging from 8 to 30) are dependent on the project(s) to which the participant is matched based on skillset and interest. Please specify your skills, interests and availability in your application. Participants in the Project Experience pathway are expected to work regularly from Edge’s Manly office to ensure integration with the project team.
This position is paid an hourly rate (minimum wage).
Independent Research Pathway
The Independent Research pathway is for candidates currently enrolled in a Master’s program who are interested in undertaking independent research (e.g. thesis, honours project) co-supervised by Edge and their university program.
The focus of this pathway should be a targeted piece of research work with a clearly defined methodology that can be undertaken over the course of one to two semesters. The research topic is to be developed by the participant in consultation with Edge and their university. Please include topic ideas in your application. Proposed topics should align to one of Edge’s core service themes. The work undertaken in this pathway is largely independent and participants are to define their own hours and work schedules.
This position is unpaid.
Key Position Holder Attributes
All Professional Experience Program participants should be:
- Committed to the Edge corporate values and mission of building a sustainable, profitable business based on leadership, environmental protection, integrity, and objectivity, scientific rigor balanced with pragmatism, timeliness, respect, customer focus and fun
- Passion and interest in sustainability, even if it is not a core competency
- Interest in problem-solving, research and/or modelling
- Openness to learning, flexible, self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Proficient in MS Office, especially in Excel as it is often highly useful in our work
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or have working rights within Australia consistent with the hours required by the position
- Be available for, and commit to, the full period of the advertised position
- Completed a Bachelor Degree and currently pursuing, or completed, a Masters level degree (or higher)
These are the application questions for the February 2019 intake, applications for this intake are now closed. Applications for the next intake will open mid-2019. Follow Edge on Linkedin for all the latest updates on the PEP program.
- What drew you to Edge? (100 words)
- What role do you see yourself playing in a more sustainable future; locally, regionally or globally? (150 words)
- What will you bring to our team that we may not already have? (150 words)
- Please specify which pathway you are interested in and provide any pathway-specific required details:
a. Work Experience – Please specify any university requirements related to work experience and / or course credit
b. Project Experience – Please specify your availability (hours per week)
c. Independent Research – Please include your proposed high-level research topic idea(s) and how they align to one of Edge’s core service themes (75 words)
- Please list your education and other relevant qualifications (100 words)
- Please list any outstanding achievements, work experience or extra-curricular activities and note how these relate to the Professional Experience Program at Edge
- Please provide us with two referees who can attest to the way you work in a professional environment
We appreciate the time and effort that it takes to respond to these questions. We thank you for your interest in Edge and your passion for sustainability. Please understand that, as a small team, we do not have capacity to respond to individual applicants with feedback. Applicants selected for further assessment will be contacted for an interview.
Involvement in the Edge Professional Experience Program is not a guarantee of ongoing work with Edge.