Status: 12 month contract – casual position ( up to 38 hours per week)
Start date: Immediate start
Reports to: Team Lead – Circular Economy and Lifecycle Thinking
Edge Environment (Edge), is one of Australia’s best known and respected sustainability consultancies. We bring together science, strategy and storytelling to create high value sustainability outcomes for our clients. Our team works with many of Australia’s leading organisations, developing and delivering high-impact, innovative projects.
Our commitment to our mission is demonstrated by our status as a B Corp, and by being one of a few leading Australian companies committing to a verified Science Based Target to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. Our entire team are passionate for a more sustainable future, and we deliver this through collaborating with some of Australia’s most high profile and environmentally ambitious organisations.
You will have the opportunity to work alongside a group of motivated sustainability professionals, committed to seeing positive change. Our organisation’s familiarity with lifecycle based impact assessment, sustainable procurement and resource recovery has made us a national leader in this space where we deliver practical projects to drive the transition to a circular economy.
Edge Environment is seeking a motivated, personable and confident person with a passion for sustainability with a background in science, engineering, economics and/or professional experience in resource management.
This role will primarily contribute to the delivery of work under the NSW Department of Industry, Planning and Environment’s Bin Trim program. The Bin Trim program focuses on providing meaningful waste management assistance to small and medium sized businesses. The position demands strong interpersonal skills, good organisation and the discipline to work unsupervised. In this role you will be required to assist small businesses on their sustainability journey, working in a very practical manner with both decision makers and their staff.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- A committed approach and demonstrated interest in recovering our valuable resources through grass-roots action, as well as strategic policy intervention.
- Demonstrated ability as a project manager and strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in communications or engagement of small businesses (or similar).
- Interest in developing industry networks and skills in business development.
- Capacity to work outside of regular business hours to meet waste auditing schedules (when required) and travel across the greater Sydney region.
- Undergraduate degree or post-graduate degree in Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or Materials Science.
- Competency in MS Office programs and have attention to detail.
- Current Driver’s License and access to a suitable vehicle (all driving expenses covered by Edge Environment).
- Experience in the waste and recycling sector or waste streams and waste management processes and principles is desirable.
In addition to delivery of the Bin Trim projects, this role may provide the opportunity to work across other project and service areas within Edge. The following attributes will be highly valued:
- Experience delivering workshops, stakeholder engagement and coordinating meetings.
- Experience planning and writing operational and construction waste management strategies.
- Designing and delivering programs or pilot studies in circular economy.
- Skills in desktop research, literature reviews and data analysis.
Key Position Holder Attributes:
- Committed to Edge’s corporate mission and values.
- Collaborative, and happy to work with humility as part of a talented team of people from a wide variety of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Attentive to client needs and focused on identifying solutions.
- Self-driven and ambitious.
- Willing to travel as required.
Customer Service Provision:
- To provide Edge customers with the best service and advice to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism, to time and budget.
- To deliver high quality work and establish a high profile and reputation for Edge.
- To foster “client friend” relationships with companies / organisations.
Financial / Project Management:
- To effectively deliver and support the workflow pipeline so that resource requirements and customer expectations are effectively managed: managing projects against budget for net profitability, managing project progress and the production of deliverables against established targets/milestones and deadlines.
Health and Safety:
- To be aware of, and assist in implementing, Edge’s health and safety policies and procedures. You also agree to comply with any other statutory obligations in relation to anti-discrimination and sexual harassment.
As part of our team, you will benefit from:
- Ongoing investment in training and development.
- A strong culture of work-life balance including established flexibility arrangements.
- Working for a certified B Corp that lives our values.
- Opportunities for career development and to influence the direction of the business.
- Working in a small and agile team with a high level of independence.
- Building networks and creating new business opportunities.
- Working collaboratively within a team with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds.
Applications should be concise and relate directly to the skills/experience outlined above. Responses should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page).
- A CV summarising your relevant employment history, experience, education and contact details for two referees.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6.00pm Monday, 13 July 2020.
Applicants shortlisted for further assessment will be contacted for an interview. Salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience.