tatus: Casual position (12 month contract & up to 38 hrs p/w)
Start date: February 2021
Reports to: Business Unit Lead – Circular Economy and Lifecycle Thinking
Edge Environment (Edge), is one of Australia’s best known and respected sustainability consultancies. We bring together science, strategy and storytelling to create high value sustainability outcomes for our clients. Our team works with many of Australia’s leading organisations, developing and delivering high-impact, innovative projects.
Our commitment to our mission is demonstrated by our status as a B Corp, and by being one of a few leading Australian companies committing to a verified Science Based Target to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. Our entire team are passionate for a more sustainable future, and we deliver this through collaborating with some of Australia’s most high profile and environmentally ambitious organisations.
You will have the opportunity to work alongside a group of motivated sustainability professionals, committed to seeing positive change. Our organisation’s familiarity with lifecycle-based impact assessment, sustainable procurement and resource recovery has made us a national leader in this space where we deliver practical projects to drive the transition to a circular economy.
Edge Environment is seeking a motivated, personable and confident person with a passion for sustainability, a background in science, engineering or economics, and professional experience in the circular economy.
The core responsibility of the role will be to work with a team of passionate individuals to deliver project work under the NSW EPA’s Bin Trim program. Edge’s Bin Trim project focuses on providing meaningful waste management planning and implementation assistance to a number of Sydney based retail shopping centre’s and their respective business occupants. The position demands strong interpersonal skills, good organisation and the discipline to work unsupervised. In this role you will be required to work with a diverse range of small to medium sized businesses guiding them on their sustainability journey to a circular economy, working in a very practical manner with both decision makers and their staff.
In addition to the Bin Trim project work, you will also have the opportunity to deliver high quality sustainability project work across other areas within Edge’s Circular Economy service offerings, contributing in particular, to Edge’s fast-evolving Resource Recovery and Life Cycle Assessment work. This is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in distinctive projects, designing bespoke solutions and further, complementing our client’s sustainability journey
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- A committed approach and demonstrated interest in recovering our valuable resources through grass-roots action, as well as strategic policy intervention.
- Demonstrated ability as a project manager and strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in communications or engagement of small businesses (or similar).
- Skills in desktop research, literature reviews and data analysis.
- Capacity to work outside of regular business hours to meet waste auditing schedules (when required) and travel across the greater Sydney region.
- Undergraduate degree or post-graduate degree in Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or Materials Science.
- Competency in MS Office programs and have attention to detail.
- Current Driver’s License and access to a suitable vehicle (all driving expenses covered by Edge Environment).
- Experience in the circular economy and/or the waste and recycling sector.
- Designing and delivering programs or pilot studies in circular economy.
- Experience delivering workshops, stakeholder engagement and coordinating meetings.
- Experience in planning, writing and implementing operational and construction waste management strategies.
- Knowledge of corporate greenhouse gas emissions reporting and mitigation frameworks, including Carbon Disclosure Project and Science-Based Targets Initiative.
- Experience in SimaPro and interest in learning other tools, e.g. OpenLCA, GaBi.
- Experience and interest in database management and tool development.
Key Position Holder Attributes:
- Committed to Edge’s corporate values and mission.
- Foster a positive environment for collaboration and strong team dynamic.
- Attention to detail regarding client needs, possible solutions and relationships.
- Willing to be cooperative and participate with your colleagues to enhance the Edge culture.
- Be self-driven and ambitious to further your professional development as opportunities arise.
- Willing to travel as required.
As part of our team you will benefit from:
- Ongoing investment in training and development for your position.
- A strong culture of work-life balance including established flexibility arrangements.
- Working for a certified B Corp that lives our values.
- Working in a small and agile team with a high level of independence.
- Building networks and creating new business opportunities.
- Working collaboratively within a team with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds.
Expressions of Interest:
If this role speaks to you and you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria (as well as bringing your own unique skills), we’d like to receive your application via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 6.00pm, Friday, 12th February 2021. All applications should include a concise cover letter that outlines how your skills directly relate to the role description, and a current CV.
Applicants shortlisted for further assessment will be contacted for an interview.