Status: Full time, permanent position
Location: Boston or selected major US metro areas to be discussed
Start date: April 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
Reports to: Managing Director, North America
Why you’ll love Edge Environment
Edge Environment (Edge), is a leading international sustainability consultancy, with offices in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide), Chile (Santiago), and the US (Boston). We use our rare combination of expertise in sustainability science, strategy, and storytelling to help our clients generate value by pursuing achievement of one of the world’s most important visions – creating a truly sustainable economy, society, and environment. We’re a team of passionate, collaborative, experienced sustainability experts that partners with leading multi-national businesses and their supply chain partners across a wide range of industries, as well as cities and other organizations, to pursue the critical shared mission of true global sustainability. As a part of the Edge team, you’ll have the chance to work with outstanding team members, clients, and other partners to generate major positive influence for the world, as well as the opportunity to significantly advance your own experience, expertise, and professional development.
Why you’ll love this role
Our newly expanding US office is seeking a passionate, driven, and collaborative professional to join us in the role of Senior Consultant or Principal Consultant. This role will be focused primarily on business development in the US and North America, with a supporting focus on delivering sustainability consulting solutions to our US and North American clients. Specifically, roughly 65-70% of the client-facing work of this role will be focused on developing new and existing client relationships, understanding clients’ needs, and effectively selling Edge’s sustainability consulting services and tools to meet those needs. Approximately 30-35% of client-facing work will focus on leading client project teams to deliver sustainability solutions to our clients, across the relevant range of Edge service offerings, based on team need and individual experience and expertise. Candidates with significant experience and proven success in selling professional/consulting services, developing high-level client relationships, developing and implementing a market-wide business development strategic plan, and coaching and mentoring team members in business development, will be considered for the role of Principal Consultant and US Business Development Lead. This role will be responsible for developing and leading the successful implementation of the business development plan for the US and North America, in collaboration with the US Marketing Lead and Managing Director, North America.
This role will be located in either the greater Boston area or in one of several select major US metropolitan areas that can be discussed for the right candidate or situation. Our US team works in a hybrid approach, using a combination of work-from-home and periodic team work in shared office work spaces.
Key responsibilities of the role
- Developing and nurturing both new and existing client relationships, and growing Edge business with both new and existing clients.
- Thoroughly understanding new and existing clients’ needs, and developing and presenting Edge services to successfully meet those needs.
- Developing and implementing account-level or market-level business development plans, and converting leads and opportunities into clients.
- Generating strong understanding of and insight into the US sustainability market, targeted industries, and specific clients’ businesses, to aid in identifying and presenting the most effective solution options to clients.
- Effectively and efficiently leading project teams to develop and deliver to clients the optimal sustainability solutions and recommendations.
- Supporting Edge internal efforts to continually improve our solutions, processes, and ways to better serve our clients and team.
- Identifying new or additional sustainability needs of our clients, and communicating these needs to relevant Edge team members for the continuous enhancement of our service offering.
- For the Principal Consultant role, developing and leading the implementation of the US/North America business development plan, and coaching and mentoring other team members to successfully implement account-level and market-level business development plans.
Essential skills, experience, attributes
- Senior Consultant role: 4-5 years sustainability or other consulting experience, with 3-4 years’ experience selling sustainability consulting or other professional services.
- Principal Consultant role: 6-8 years sustainability or other consulting experience, with 4-6 years selling sustainability consulting or other professional services.
- Strong understanding of general sustainability topics, particularly those relevant to Edge’s service areas.
- Outstanding client engagement & relationship development skills; ability to uncover, articulate, develop, and present solutions that meet or exceed client needs and expectations.
- Strong understanding of the US corporate sustainability and sustainability consulting markets.
- Excellent organizational skills, extremely strong self-motivation and ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Sustainability, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or similar.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills; proficiency with MS Office Suite (particularly PowerPoint, Excel). Strong facility with CRM system(s).
- Strong passion for sustainability as well as for sales and client relationship development.
- For Principal Consultant role: Demonstrated ability and success in developing and leading implementation of a market-wide professional services business development plan, and in coaching and mentoring team members to achieve business development goals.
Desired skills, experience, attributes
- Strong networks in the US corporate sustainability and/or sustainable built environment markets.
- Skills in market and industry analysis to stay abreast of emerging client needs.
- Master’s degree in Business, Sustainability, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Sustainability, or similar.
- Specific experience in sustainability issues, analytics and solutions in the areas of food/beverage/agriculture; consumer products and electronics; life sciences (pharmaceutical, medical device, etc.); built environment/infrastructure/transport.
Other attributes that will help you thrive at Edge
- A strong commitment to Edge’s corporate mission and values.
- A collaborative spirit that is happy to work with humility as part of a talented team of people from a wide variety of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Attentive focus on client needs and on identifying solutions.
- Ability and comfort with taking initiative and responsibility/ownership for your work, while knowing when to ask for help and collaborate with others.
- Willingness to travel as required to accomplish team goals (approximately 10% of work time once COVID-related public health guidelines and precautions allow).
- Firm commitment to providing Edge clients with the best service and advice to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism, on time and budget.
- Desire and ability to foster “client friend” relationships with key companies and organizations within all relevant areas of Edge’s work.
As part of our team you will benefit from:
- Competitive compensation and a wide range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability insurance coverage, a company-funded retirement savings plan, and generous paid holiday, vacation, wellness, and parental leave. Compensation will be dependent on qualifications, experience, potential for contribution to Edge’s success, and performance.
- Ongoing investment in training and development.
- A strong culture of work-life balance including work flexibility arrangements.
- Working for a certified B Corp that lives our values. The Edge Environment parent company is a certified B Corp, and Edge US is pursuing B Corp certification.
- Opportunities for career development and to influence the direction of the business.
- Working in a small and agile team with a high level of both independence and teamwork.
- Building networks and creating new business opportunities.
- Working collaboratively within a team with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds.
Applications should be concise and relate directly to the skills/experience outlined above. Responses should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page).
- A resume summarizing your relevant employment history, experience, skills, and education.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com, and should include “Edge US BD Sr. Consultant” or “Edge US BD Principal Consultant” (as relevant based on experience and qualifications) in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
Applicants selected for further discussion and assessment will be contacted for an interview.
Our commitment to equal opportunity
At Edge, we believe wholeheartedly that the best solutions come from bringing together the best minds and a broad range of perspectives, and that just like in nature, diversity leads to better outcomes. We are also convinced that these diverse minds and perspectives are vitally needed to help truly solve the environmental, social, and economic challenges society faces. That’s why we hire and operate without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability.