Status: Full time, permanent position
Location: Boston or selected major US metro areas to be discussed
Start date: April 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
Reports to: Managing Director, North America
Why you’ll love Edge Environment
Edge Environment (Edge), is a leading international sustainability consultancy, with offices in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide), Chile (Santiago), and the US (Boston). We use our rare combination of expertise in sustainability science, strategy, and storytelling to help our clients generate value by pursuing achievement of one of the world’s most important visions – creating a truly sustainable economy, society, and environment. We’re a team of passionate, collaborative, experienced sustainability experts that partners with leading multi-national businesses and their supply chain partners across a wide range of industries, as well as cities and other organizations, to pursue the critical shared mission of true global sustainability. As a part of the Edge team, you’ll have the chance to work with outstanding team members, clients, and other partners to generate major positive influence for the world, as well as the opportunity to significantly advance your own experience, expertise, and professional development.
Why you’ll love this role
Our newly expanding US office is seeking a more passionate, motivated, and collaborative professionals to join us in the role of Senior Consultant, with a focus on Circular Economy and Life Cycle Thinking support for our US clients. Our Circular Economy and Life Cycle Thinking (CELT) team brings Edge’s deep expertise and strong reputation in sustainability science, life cycle assessment (LCA), and circular economy concepts, strategies, and initiatives, to help our clients understand the impact of their products, services, and organizations, and to transition to a more fully circular economy. This role will be responsible for leading client project teams and maintaining and nurturing client relationships to help our clients develop and implement circular economy and life-cycle-based, systems-thinking solutions to meet their sustainability goals. The role will also be responsible for guiding and organizing the project teams’ technical and analytical work based on the latest sustainability science and circular economy concepts that are the foundation of these solutions.
Roughly 65% of the client project focus of this role will be on projects supporting our CELT team’s client work, with the other 35% focused across our other key service areas, including Carbon and Climate Resilience, Sustainability Strategy, Sustainability Leadership and Communication, Sustainable and Ethical Procurement, and Sustainable Delivery.
This role will be located in either the greater Boston area or one of several select major US metropolitan areas that can be discussed for the right candidate or situation. Our US team works in a hybrid approach, using a combination of work-from-home and periodic team work in shared office work spaces.
Key responsibilities of the role
- Understanding clients’ sustainability needs, goals, and expectations, and developing solutions and project approaches to successfully meet or exceed them.
- Leading and organizing Edge project teams to deliver to clients the needed sustainability solutions and recommendations, with a particular focus in the area of Circular Economy and Life Cycle Thinking, as well as in Edge’s other service areas as needed.
- Ensuring that project teams develop and deliver to clients solutions and recommendations of exceptional quality, based on the best and latest science, methods, tools, and approaches.
- Delivering to clients clear and compelling solutions and recommendations to help clients achieve their sustainability objectives.
- Maintaining awareness and thorough understanding of the latest science, trends, and innovations in the area of circular economy and life cycle thinking, and sharing Edge’s expertise and contributions to the field when appropriate.
- Identifying new or additional sustainability needs of our clients, and collaborating with them to develop approaches and solutions to meet those needs.
- Supporting Edge internal efforts to continually improve our solutions, processes, and ways to better serve our clients and team.
Essential skills, experience, attributes
- 4-5 years’ experience in sustainability consulting, and particularly in performing and leading LCA projects independently, preferably using SimaPro.
- Strong understanding of general sustainability topics, particularly those relevant to LCA, circular economy, and Edge’s other service areas.
- Very strong client engagement & relationship development skills; ability to uncover, articulate, and develop solutions to meet and exceed client needs and expectations.
- Excellent project management and leadership skills.
- Extremely strong overall quantitative analytical skills; skills and affinity for analysis, data management, modeling, and drawing insight from data analysis. Ability to guide project teams in optimal use of analytical tools & techniques. Strong skills in translating technical results into clear, compelling recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or similar.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills; report writing skills; proficiency with MS Office Suite (particularly Excel, PowerPoint).
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Strong passion for sustainability.
Desired skills, experience, attributes
- Strong networks in the circular economy arena; demonstrated business development experience and ability to engage at senior levels within client organizations.
- Skills in market and industry analysis to stay abreast of emerging industry trends.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Sustainability, or similar.
- Specific experience in sustainability issues, analytics and solutions in the areas of food/beverage/agriculture; consumer products and electronics; life sciences (pharmaceutical, medical device, etc.); built environment/infrastructure/transport.
Other attributes that will help you thrive at Edge
- A strong commitment to Edge’s corporate mission and values.
- A collaborative spirit that is happy to work with humility as part of a talented team of people from a wide variety of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Attentive focus on client needs and on identifying solutions.
- Ability and comfort with taking initiative and responsibility/ownership for your work, while knowing when to ask for help and collaborate with others.
- Willingness to travel as required to accomplish team goals (approximately 10% of work time once COVID-related public health guidelines and precautions allow).
- Firm commitment to providing Edge clients with the best service and advice to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism, on time and budget.
- Desire and ability to foster “client friend” relationships with key companies and organizations within all relevant areas of Edge’s work.
As part of our team you will benefit from:
- Competitive compensation and a wide range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability insurance coverage, a company-funded retirement savings plan, and generous paid holiday, vacation, wellness, and parental leave. Compensation will be dependent on qualifications, experience, potential for contribution to Edge’s success, and performance.
- Ongoing investment in training and development.
- A strong culture of work-life balance including work flexibility arrangements.
- Working for a certified B Corp that lives our values. The Edge Environment parent company is a certified B Corp, and Edge US is pursuing B Corp certification.
- Opportunities for career development and to influence the direction of the business.
- Working in a small and agile team with a high level of both independence and teamwork.
- Building networks and creating new business opportunities.
- Working collaboratively within a team with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds.
Applications should be concise and relate directly to the skills/experience outlined above. Responses should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page).
- A resume summarizing your relevant employment history, experience, skills, and education.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com, and should include “Edge US CELT Sr. Consultant” in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
Applicants selected for further discussion and assessment will be contacted for an interview.
Our commitment to equal opportunity
At Edge, we believe wholeheartedly that the best solutions come from bringing together the best minds and a broad range of perspectives, and that just like in nature, diversity leads to better outcomes. We are also convinced that these diverse minds and perspectives are vitally needed to help truly solve the environmental, social, and economic challenges society faces. That’s why we hire and operate without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability.